While you all were watching, I have moved this site off my laptop and onto a new desktop box running Fedora Core 3. But not all went perfectly with the transfer.
At first everything looked OK. The basic structure of the blog is in place, comments seem to work, etc. But then I discovered the nice Google search box I worked so hard on wasn’t working. After doing some investigation I discovered that the version of PHP included in Fedora doesn’t include SOAP support!
I’ve been forced to disable the Google search box while I attempt to rebuild PHP with SOAP support. I’m starting to remember why I hated Red Hat–so many packages to install, so little time. Anyway, so that’s what I’m working on right now, and trying to ensure it’s updated with the latest security fixes while I’m at it.
I think I want my Gentoo back. Don’t be terribly surprised if I relocate this site back onto my laptop temporarily and get rid of Fedora.